We’re looking for a larger than life musician/teacher to lead our parent and child music programs in the Ottawa area.
LGBTQ+, racialized, and other underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.
Monkey Rock Music is a fun, entertaining and creative participatory music program for young children and their adult caregivers. Our primary goal is to instil a love of creating and experiencing music that will last a lifetime. Nothing has a stronger impact on a child than enjoying an activity with the people they love. Monkey Rock Music class participants range in age from 0-4 years.
Classes are essentially a led sing along with kids and caregivers together. Our program is very carefully curated, and training is extensive – you always go into class knowing EXACTLY what you’re going to do.
Due to the vulnerable nature of the unvaccinated kids that attend our classes, all adults attending are required to show proof of vaccination to enter classes, and must wear masks throughout. Instructors remove their mask only to sing.
- High comfort level playing acoustic guitar (see below for details). There’s no wiggle room here – if you can’t play guitar, please don’t apply.
- A good singing voice
- Larger than life stage presence
- Outgoing, personable, nature; comfortable performing in any situation
- Clean police background check
- Proof of vaccination and booster – we work with very young, unvaccinated children.
- Experience working with young children
- ECE/Orff/similar training
- Broad knowledge of children’s songs
- Flexible schedule
- Access to a car – each day of the week will have you at a different location, e.g Tuesdays in Kanata, Wednesdays in Manotick, Thursdays in the Glebe. (Actual days and locations to be determined.)
Though the material is very straight forward (mostly two and three chord songs), the demands of the classes require the teacher to be able to play on ‘autopilot’, focusing on the students rather than the guitar
$15/hour training; $30/hour regular classes
Birthday Parties – $100/45 minutes
Stage Shows – $150 and up for 1 hour
The position requires teaching classes 2-3 weekday mornings from 9:45am to 12:15pm, and Saturdays from 9:00am to 12:15pm. Saturdays are our busiest day, so expect to always work them. There is also the option of performing at in -person and Zoom parties Saturday and/or Sundays, and the option of teaching some weekday afternoons.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
WANT TO REALLY STAND OUT? Send a maximum 60 second video instead of a cover letter!
Show us how dynamic and engaging you are, play a little guitar, be over-the-top. You can send a YouTube, Dropbox, or Google Drive link, or message us through our Facebook Page. (https://www.facebook.com/MonkeyRockMusic/)
Be sure to highlight your experience working with young children – this is far more important than your musical ability!